An essential ingredient of PRX is peer review—any member of PRX can listen to, comment on, and rate any piece on the site. Comments provide producers with feedback, help program directors at stations sift through content, and give public radio a much-needed forum for lively discussion and critique of programming.
Producers are encouraged to use their comments. Get a good comment for one of your pieces? Share it with the world! Quote it on your website, in your PR materials—just make sure to link back to the comment on PRX so readers can see the whole thing.
Why “comments” and not “reviews”?
Originally on PRX, we asked members to write piece “reviews,” but we found that the term discouraged members from leaving their thoughts. So while we now use the term “comment” instead, we still ask that you follow our guidelines for respectful and helpful feedback.
- Listen to each piece for a reasonable length of time before rating and commenting on the work.
- Be nice, but not too nice: no pans or backscratching allowed. Give constructive criticism. Think about what keeps you listening, and what turns your ears elsewhere.
- We use a 5-star rating system: 5 being the best.
- Think about information that could help station programmers make their decisions. When would you like to hear this piece? Should there be a content advisory? Does it sound like anything else you’ve heard on the radio?
- Use your own criteria but explain your reasoning (“I tend to like quirky stories so this piece really appeals to me”).
We also ask you to follow a few simple rules:
- You shall not upload, or distribute or otherwise publish in comments any libelous, defamatory, obscene, pornographic, abusive, or otherwise illegal material.
- Be courteous. You agree that you will not threaten or verbally abuse other members or use defamatory language.
- Use respectful language. You agree not to use language that abuses or discriminates on the basis of race, religion, nationality, gender, sexual preference, age, region, disability, etc.
- Review, critique, discuss, but don’t attack. In a community full of opinions and preferences, people always disagree. PRX encourages active discussions and welcomes sharp opinions in our comments. But personal attacks are a direct violation of this Agreement and are grounds for immediate and permanent suspension of access to all or part of the Service.
- The comments shall be used only in a noncommercial manner. You shall not, without the express approval of the PRX, distribute or otherwise publish any material containing any solicitation of funds, advertising or solicitation for goods or services.
- You are solely responsible for the content of your messages. However, while PRX does not and cannot monitor every comment posted by you and is not responsible for the content of these comments, PRX reserves the right to delete, move, or edit messages that it, in its sole discretion, deems abusive, defamatory, obscene, in violation of copyright or trademark laws, or otherwise unacceptable.
- You acknowledge that any comments you make may be edited, removed, modified, published, transmitted, and displayed by PRX and you waive any moral rights you may have in having the material altered or changed in a manner not agreeable to you.